Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Moments

(When you have MS you never know what will expire next.)

As I come up on the anniversary of that life changing day when my body stopped being my own I've found myself replaying key moments in the last 3 years.

There was the day I woke up with a headache and blurred vision and decided to take it seriously and the day my neuro-opthamologist called to tell me he thought I had a brain tumor. There was the soul crushing moment when a man I barely knew told me I had Multiple Sclerosis. There have been times when control over my body has completely eluded me and times when things are a little less dire.

More often than not these events have been punctuated by intense emotion...grief, sorrow, frustration, fear, and more recently resolve.


I have resolved to not give in to the sometimes overwhelming desperation that has haunted me since my diagnosis. The grief I've felt over the last 3 years has ebbed and flowed and ebbed again. The frustration and fear that have become my constant companions on this journey to wellness are now serving as a catalyst and motivation to reach out to others in similar situations.

This stranger in my body will not steal any more moments from me...

1 comment:

  1. So well put Jazmin. I had no idea that you were to good with words! We all know where you and I come from on the stranger that thinks they can take over when having a chronic disease. *hugs* You are doing a great job sweetie!

    ReplyDelete